The Cycleops Fluid 2 Indoor Bike Trainer: one of the best in the business!
As highlighted throughout this site, I have tried and tested a few different bike trainers, but the Cycleops Fluid 2 Indoor Bicycle Trainer is definitely one of the best stationary bike trainers I have ever tried (well, that is until I recently discovered the amazing CycleOps Silencer!).
For starters, this Cycleops bike trainer is one of the quietest bicycle trainers I’ve ever worked on! If you’ve ever used a lower-end bike trainer, you’ll be familiar with the annoying and sometimes deafening whirr they produce. You might save a bit on the cost, but your eardrums of your closest friends and family will suffer, trust me!
You don’t get such noise with the Cycleops Fluid 2 bike trainer. That’s important to me because I frequently train at night after work and don’t want to disturb the sleep of my wife and kids. Even when I’m pedaling my hardest, this bike trainer runs quietly. And yes, the low noise level allows me to place the stationary trainer in my living room and train while my family watches television – good eh?!
It is such an unobtrusive presence that my kids are more likely to be disturbed by my panting and gasping (yes, I do try and burn some calories!) as I train than by any noise emitted by the trainer.
In addition, while no indoor bike trainer can ever fully capture the joy of outdoor riding, the Cycleops Fluid Indoor Trainer comes closer than most with an extremely realistic cycling experience. When I first used the trainer, it became immediately apparent to me that the Cycleops designers had put a massive amount of thought and effort into simulating outdoor cycling because the resistance provided by the trainer was extremely similar to that provided by tarmac roads. This allows me to practice my outdoor riding skills in the safety of my home while rain, snow or hail pours down outside.
Summary of the Fluid 2’s Main Features
Here’s a quick summary of the main features that might wow you:
- The Fluid 2 Trainer is one of the best ways to stay in great condition during the off season
- A new larger flywheel delivers a true road-like experience, with twice the inertia (read all about the resistance technology from CycleOps here)
- Power band technology means you have a wide resistance range to work with
- An infinite resistance curve ensures increased wattage as you increase speed
- The Fluid 2’s self-cooling mechanisms keep the unit performing better and for longer
- Lifetime manufacturer’s warranty
- Dimensions: 23 x 22 x 7 inches, and it weighs 11.5 pounds
Pros and Cons of the Cycleops Fluid 2 Trainer
The only thing I didn’t like about this Cycleops bike trainer was the vague set-up instructions. I’ve never been a very hands-on person, so assembling the trainer gave me a real headache. This gave me an opportunity to experience Cycleops’ renowned customer service for myself. I called customer support for assistance on setting up the trainer and they were very forthcoming with advice. The patient and helpful customer support officer talked me through the product assembly step by step and with their guidance, the whole process took me only five minutes to complete. In short, the exemplary customer service more than made up for the slightly ambiguous set-up instructions.
After purchasing the Cycleops Fluid Indoor Bike Trainer a few months back, it has now become my training method of choice for rainy days. It allows me to keep my fitness level up in the off-season so that I’m raring to go once cycling season starts again.
Worth the high price tag?
Highly recommended, because despite that relatively high price tag (around $300), it really is one of the best in the business. It also makes our list of the Top 5 bike trainers for 2017, but it is serious competition for one of the top end choices included on that list, the Kinetic Kurt Rock n Roll Trainer. Alternatively, check out the awesome technology of the SuperMagneto Pro from CycleOps – it comes in at around $400, but is a great ride!
Click below to save yourself 10% on the regular price over on Amazon!
- 5 BEST bike trainers 2017: the ultimate buyer’s guide
- The future of indoor trainers…this is one video well worth watching!
- The next generation of indoor trainer: the CycleOps Hammer!
- My review of the CycleOps Silencer: an amazing Direct Drive indoor trainer!
- The 3 BEST top of the range bike stands to take your training to the next level
- The 5 BEST stationary bike trainers to buy in 2016
- The Schwinn Fluid Resistance Bike Trainer: providing great bang for your buck!
- The awesome CycleOps SuperMagneto Pro Trainer: our review
- It’s all about those resistance curves baby!
- The 5 BEST stationary bike stands to consider buying in 2015