The ultimate bike floor pump to keep your training sessions running smoothly!
Every dedicated cyclist needs a bicycle floor pump in his arsenal. It doesn’t matter if you’re only going to be using it on your bike trainer, those tires need to be pumped!
It’s difficult for us busy working adults to set aside time to train, and when that window of opportunity arises the last thing you want is to waste that time because of a flat tire. After rigorous testing of many pumps ranging in quality and price, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Serfas TPCG Bicycle Floor Pump as one of the most effective and reliable bike pumps out there.
Serfas TPCG: a truly classy floor pump
One of the most common complaints about cheap bike pumps is that they’re difficult (in some cases impossible) to fit securely onto the air valve of your bike tire, but I found that this wasn’t a problem at all with the Serfas TPCG.
If you’re used to DC-powered pumps, you might find that a little more force is needed to get the chuck over the air valve, but once it’s on, it grips the valve tightly and stays put even when you’re pumping vigorously. It’s worth mentioning that this Serfas floor pump is one of the most stable floor pumps I’ve ever tested. That’s probably down to its all-metal barrel and heavy nylon base, which provide a sturdy platform from which to pump up your tires.
This bike pump is also one of the most user-friendly I’ve encountered and the following features really impressed me.
- The pump action is incredibly smooth, and if you perform maintenance work regularly you should be getting plenty of mileage out of this floor pump.
- The 160 PSI capacity also ensures you get more air per pump, which is welcome news if you’re filling your tires right before a grueling training session or important race. The last thing you want to do is exhaust yourself pumping your tires before you’ve even got on the bike!
- I really appreciated the gauge interface which was highly intuitive and easy to both operate and read. Changing pressure settings was a breeze with this product.
- The valve pump head is very versatile. It’s a perfect fit for both Presta and Schrader air valves (the two most common brands of valve), so you won’t encounter any compatibility problems.
Finally, if you train frequently, you’ll be glad to know the Serfas TPCG is industry-leading in terms of durability. The build quality is obvious from the moment you take it out of the box and the simple valve is much less likely to malfunction than other types of valves. Serfas is so confident in the durability of its product, it’s issued customers with a limited lifetime warranty!
If I have one complaint, it’s that the gauge reading was occasionally unreliable, with the needle of the gauge remaining stationary for a few pumps before suddenly jumping to very different reading. This was a very sporadic problem, however, and seems to have ironed itself out (I only experienced it right at the outset) and given the TPCG’s otherwise excellent performance I’m willing to overlook this. In any case, in the highly unlikely case the problem persists, customers can always fall back on the warranty.
The Serfas TPCG floor pump is one of the most efficient bike pumps I’ve ever used and will be a worthy addition to the cycling maintenance arsenal of any training-obsessed cycling nut!
Need other accessories for your training sessions? Check out our Accessories section!
- The ULTIMATE guide to bike trainers and accessories this winter
- TEN cycling accessories any cycling fan will want in their Christmas stocking!
- Personalize your bike with these awesome custom name stickers!
- 5 BEST Indoor Cycling Shoes to ramp up your indoor training sessions!
- Our guide to the best bike trainers and cycling accessories you’ll need for Winter 2014-15
- Add a reading rack to relieve the bike training boredom!
- Massage those post-training muscles with the amazing Travel Stick!