Welcome to the world of indoor bike stands & trainers!
If you’re on the hunt for an indoor bike trainer (often known as a stationary bike stand or even turbo trainer), my tips and reviews of many of the industry’s leading brands and models should make things a whole lot clearer for you.
I’m a semi-serious cyclist myself, and have purchased and tested a number of bikes AND indoor bike stands over the years (don’t ask my wife how much I’ve spent over the last couple of years!). The indoor trainers really boost my training schedule during those cold, winter months when it’s almost impossible to get out on the road (and hey, even in the summer months when it’s just too hot!).
After purchasing a top of the range model a while back, the CycleOps Fluid 2 trainer (a model I highly recommend), and getting asked by cyclist friends for my recommendations, I decided to set up this website to help them and YOU out. I’ve done all of the research and testing, you just have to decide what suits your training regime and your budget.
I’d highly recommend having a look at this to get started – these are the FIVE best stationary bike trainers you should consider for 2017, ranging from the very cheapest, super-value bike stands to the ultimate riding experience for the more serious cyclists of you. If money is less of an issue and you’re looking for something top-notch, take a look at the 3 best trainers money can buy. In addition, our much researched Comparison table will give you an amazingly quick overview of all the models out there, including ratings, weight and price. It’s pretty much the perfect buying guide, and is constantly being updated, so check it out!
And I also have the perfect companion to a new bike trainer – my guide to the TEN must-have cycling accessories that any keen cyclist will want to have to get the absolute maximum out of their training session, especially if you are setting up your own man cave! It was originally written for Christmas, but all of the accessories are perfect for any time of the year and will help enhance your training session – from the best cycling shoes, to iPhone holders, to massage sticks, I cover some of the best out there!
For beginners, or any of you just confused by the range of options and possibilities, I’d recommend you see our FAQ, a comprehensive set of questions (and their answers) that should hopefully answer any question you might have, including:
- I’m a beginner, what trainer do you recommend?
- Are there any decent trainers under $100?
- I’m a serious/pro cyclist – what trainers should I consider?
- Are there any trainers for 29 inch wheels?
- Can I use my mountain bike on an indoor trainer?
- How can I stay motivated for boring indoor riding sessions?
Wrapping it up, here are some additional must-reads for those of you getting into indoor trainers this season:
- If you’re looking for a complete guide as to what to buy this winter (2016-17), don’t miss our superb mini-guide to all you need this winter to enhance your indoor training sessions!
- Those of you wondering how to knock off those winter pounds, see our tips on using your bike trainer to get rid of that winter belly
- Need a reason to buy a stationary bike stand? Try this: 7 major ways an indoor trainer can truly change your life
- Not necessarily a “read” but do check out our videos on how to really get the most out of your indoor training sessions!
3 major reasons why you need to buy a stationary bike stand
OK, so you’re still not convinced that an indoor bike / turbo trainer will suit your style, your budget, or even your flat/house – but perhaps these 3 killer benefits will persuade you…
1: Having a stationary bike trainer at home means you’re never going to have an excuse for not training during those cold, wet winter months! OK, it can be hard to get motivated, but trust us, there are ways to stay motivated, and yes, stay in great shape throughout the winter. If you’re a serious cyclist, a trainer can seriously make a difference for when the cycling season kicks in once again; and if you’re a beginner or a casual cyclist, stay in shape and improve your overall technique in a fun, sporty way (while you watch TV, use your iPad, or simply read a book!)!
2: They are compact AND portable AND cheap. So forget about not having enough space in your small, cozy apartment, or having enough money. Most of the bike trainers on the market today are compact enough to fit the smallest of houses and apartments (heck, some are even foldable!), and quiet enough to ensure that if you do have a small apartment, your neighbors and loved ones will never know you just put in a sweaty, 60-minute session that stretched beyond midnight. And yes, there are some great value indoor bike trainers for less than $80 – compare that to your annual gym fees!
3: You dictate the training session – and buy that we mean the pace, the effort, the time invested. The thing about an indoor trainer is that you choose exactly when and how to start training, and you no longer have to worry about the weather and how it might, quite literally, put a dampener on your training efforts. If you’re somewhat of a serious cyclist, concentrate on enhancing your skills on your own finely-tuned bike to improve your cycling form; likewise if you’re a beginner/casual cyclist, decide what works for you – you’re the one in the saddle!
Good Luck – and if you have any questions, feel free to get in touch!
- 7 ways your stationary indoor trainer can truly change your life
- Stationary bike trainers for 29er wheels – YES they do exist!
- The ULTIMATE guide to bike trainers and accessories this winter
- If you’re looking for an indoor trainer, look for one with ride-ability, durability, and repeatability
- THREE things you really need to consider before splashing out on a bike trainer stand…
- A beginner’s guide to the different types of Stationary Bike Stands
- The cycling season starts when…? (CARTOON)
- TEN awesome reasons why you need a stationary bike stand
- Stationary Bike Stand or Indoor Bike Trainer?